In my previous post, I had demonstrated how to configure a Jenkins Server using Docker. The next step is to create a Jenkins job to build some software. Now, we could just do a simple freestyle job, or a basic Maven build – but that will require configuration of Jenkins every time we want to make a new project, and that makes managing the Jenkins Server via Docker more annoying. So, instead, I’m going to use the Cloudbees Bitbucket Branch Source Plugin and create a Bitbucket Team/Project job that will create the rest of my Jenkins jobs automagically for me. A similar plugin exists for GitHub, though I haven’t looked into it.
With the upcoming end-of-life for Bamboo Cloud, I’m in the market for a new build server setup. For this1 experiment, I’m returning to an old favourite – Jenkins – paired with a potential new favourite – Docker. In this post, I describe how I’ve set up a Jenkins server in a Docker container, using the Multibranch Pipeline plugin to automatically configure a simple build2.
Well, it’s been three-and-a-half years, but I’ve finally got around to getting to a point of writing an iOS app. I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting to get a copy, though – it’s purely for my private use, to aid in monitoring and administering the IES project.
After doing enough tutorials and similar exercises to be comfortable in building the app and the UI, I got around to trying calls to the AWS infrastructure. This proved a bit more difficult than I anticipated – hence this aide-mémoire. This isn’t going to be useful for non-iOS developers, and I doubt it’s going to have anything new for more seasoned iOS developer; only iOS noobs like me need bother.
Having succeeded in getting a simple JBehave story running. my next challenge is to scale it up a bit. In particular, I want to get a JBehave story that integrates with Spring to do something more fully-featured: save an entry in a database.
In the last segment, I managed to get JBehave reporting under Maven using a pre-canned example. This time, I want to tackle the other extreme – I want to develop a single story in JBehave and see what’s the bare minimum it takes to get it running, inside an IDE (in my case, Eclipse)/
JBehave comes with some very comprehensive examples, so I thought I’d start there to see if I could get one of them building – and reporting – under Maven. The example I chose was the ‘trader‘ example, which you can see at github.
A couple of years ago, I got the ‘specification-by-example’ bug. I was playing with this new project called Cucumber, and was really enjoying the idea of specifying examples in an English-like syntax that testers and BAs could supposedly read. (I say supposedly, because it never really took on at my previous place-of-employment. Which was a shame). Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, and advocated it when and where I could. Heck, if nothing else, it was an excuse to write support code in Ruby as a break from the Java stuff.