I’ve moved to a new hosting provider, so if there’s any quirks over the next few days, that’s probably why. I’m also getting around to doing a UI overhaul that I’d been meaning to do for months.
Until recently, my site was hosted by iWebserv However, last December their main servers had a massive hard disk failure. During this process, the operator of iWebserv revealed that he didn’t have a fucking clue about how to handle dissatisfied customers, or even to provide good feedback – case in point, their support site still had a notice about the disk failure from 7 Dec the last time I checked it out in April.
I told myself then that I wouldn’t be renewing my contract with iWebserv, but I also wasn’t really prepared to jump ship until I’d actually used the contract up; after all, if I left with 5 months to go, then I’d just be saving the guy money. So it’s now June, my contract is due for renewal, and I’ve gone to Alternative.net instead. While still cheap, they seem to be pretty clued in, and there’s been good feedback in a few user forums (such as Whirlpool). Now I’m just hoping that getting my DNS name redirected is smooth (there was a minor problem, due to the fact that I’d bought the name through iWebserv, but Planetdomain.com helped me sort that out – now I just have to wait for the changes to propagate). If you’re reading this, then you can assume the name change got through okay. 🙂
As for the UI changes – well, as a direct result of the big disk crash, I lost my old site layout. I couldn’t get the files recovered because iWebserv’s “backup” process, well, wasn’t. I managed to dig up most of my articles from a site backup I’d done about a week before (by coincidence), but the database was hosed, and the templates were in the database (along with lots of comments, etc). So, to cut a long story short: I’ve been living with the default MT layout, and now I want a new one.
There will be some fluctuation in how the site looks for a while. I’m also explicitly not going to support older browsers; I suggest you use FireFox, but I will also make sure that the site works well with IE 6 and Safari. Readers stuck on older browsers should probably try reading the RSS feed through an aggregator instead.
2 thoughts on “Moving to a new hosting provider”
Seems to be working. I am using feedreader, and worked fine.
Feedreader uses IE6 (in my case) embedded in it to view article detail, no issues.
There is no “magic number” security code thingy though… so watch for the spam !
I haven’t started to muck around with the style sheet yet. 🙂
As for the SCode – my new provider doesn’t have one of the libraries required installed. I’ll raise a ticket if needed to get that fixed – in the meantime, I’m trying out the SpamLookup tool.